The subproject addresses three main goals:
- Analysis of the current status of nutrient management and of crop-specific mineral nutrient requirements
- Analysis of the current status of SOM management and of crop-specific effects on SOM content
- Analysis of the current status and sources of HM contamination of vegetables, and of crop-specific plant traits regulating HM contamination
The subproject results will serve as a basis for series of options and locally tailored recommendations for integrated SOM and nutrient management in horticultural production systems, and avoidance of HM hazard of vegetable consumers.
- Christoph Engels, Department of Animal and Crop Science, Division of Plant Nutrition, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
- Darius Otiato Andika, Department of Soils and Plant Science, Division of Soil Science, Jaramogi Oginga Odinga University of Science and Technology
- Joseph Gweyi-Onyango, Department of Agricultural Sciences, Kenyatta University
- Samuel Mwonga, Department of Crops, Horticulture and Soils, Egerton University
- Enos Ayiemba Onyuka, PhD student at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
- Universities and research institutions
- Extension services
- Farmer’s organizations
This subproject being located upstream in the value chain may have beneficial and stimulating effects on all subprojects downstream.